Top 10 Best Airtel Tariff Plans for Data and Calls: If you’re new to the Airtel network, sorting out the best tariff plans for both data and calls can be quite stressful because there are tons of amazing tariff plans on the network.
However, if possible, you finally figure out the best tariff plans on Airtel; choosing the right one for you may be intimidating, as those tariff plans all have awesome benefits, from call rates to cheap SMS and even data bonuses.
It is also common with existing/old Airtel customers to change tariff plans, especially when they are not satisfied with the services rendered by their current tariff plans or the network just launched a new tariff plan that is better than the current one they are on.
Well, whether you are new to Airtel or not, in this post, I’ll help you shake off the stress of sorting and picking the perfect tariff plans for you, as I’ll show you the best Airtel tariff plan for calls and also the best Airtel tariff plan for data, plus the cheapest Airtel tariff plan for data and calls.
What are Airtel Tariff Plans?
Airtel tariff plan is a schedule of rates chargeable by the Airtel network on calls per second, Messages in respect per SMS, and data in respect per MB.
In other words, an Airtel tariff is a plan that you are on the Airtel network that gives you access to the service at their respective rates, gives you bonuses, and also sends you special offers.
There are many best tariff plans on Airtel; they come with their benefits on calls, SMS, data, and bonuses (both data and calls). So, it may be challenging to pick the best one for you.
But don’t worry; I’ve made it easier by picking out the best for you in the list below.
List of the Best Airtel Tariff Plans for Data and Calls
If you want the list of tariff plans on Airtel, I won’t give it to you. Instead, I’ll show you the cheapest Airtel Tariff plan for calls in conjunction with the best Airtel tariff plan for data.
They’re all right below!
Starting from one of the most populous and best Airtel tariff plans for Data and calls; Airtel SmartCONNECT is a tariff plan that offers an 800% or 8x bonus on every recharge. This plan also offers users an instant 100% bonus on every data bundle they purchase.
How to Activate SmartConnect on Airtel
- To migrate to SmartConnect, dial *311*1# or text YES to 311.
SmartConnect for Data
SmartConnect tariff plan is currently one of the best tariff plans on the Airtel network regarding data bonuses and bundles.
Here’s a breakdown of the SmartConnect data bonus:
- From the 8x bonus you get, you’ll get some of it (e.g., for N100 recharge, you’ll get N400), a data bonus to browse the internet, scroll through social media, stream videos online, and so on.
- You’ll get a 100% bonus data bundle purchase from N500 and above.
SmartConnect for Calls
Smart Connect also has a relatively fair call rate. You’ll be charged 60 kobo per second for calls to all networks.
Here’s a breakdown of the minutes you will use N100 airtime for to all numbers on all local networks:
- Main account + Bonus credit: N100 + N300 Naira = N400
- N0.60kobo × 60 seconds = N36.00 Naira
- Therefore, with an N100 recharge card, you will get >> N400/N36 ≈ 11 minutes 11 seconds.
On the Smart Trybe tariff plan, customers are offered a very cheap rate of 11 kobos per second and send text messages at N4 per SMS. Also, customers get access to the night data plan on Airtel, and when you buy a data bundle, you get 30% extra data as a bonus.
You’ll also get free weekly/monthly data bonuses on this plan. You’ll get 5 FREE SMS when you send 2 (paid).
How to Activate SmartTrybe
- To migrate to the SmartTrybe tariff plan, simply dial *312# or send YES to 312.
SmartTrybe for Data
Smart Trybe is one of the best tariff plans for Airtel data, especially regarding exclusive data offers.
Here’s how SmartTrybe data works:
- SmartTrybe is the only tariff plan that gives customers access to the Airtel Night Plan.
- Customers get a 30% data bonus on bundles of N500 and above purchased on all campuses.
SmartTrybe for Calls
SmartTrybe is also a good tariff plan for calls, as they offer a competitive cheap call rate of 11 kobos per second to all networks after the first 50 seconds of a call.
Here’s a breakdown of the minutes you’ll use N100 airtime for on SmartTrybe:
- First 50 secs: N0.20kobo × 50 seconds = N10.00 (100 – 10 = N90.00 left)
- N0.11kobo × 60 seconds = N6.6
- Therefore, with N100 airtime, you will get >> N90/N6.6 + (50 secs) ≈ 14 minutes 13 seconds.
Smart Premier is another prepaid tariff plan that offers a competitive call rate on Airtel after the first-minute call charge. All calls to all networks in Nigeria are at 11k/sec.
Calls to some international destinations are also charged at an extremely cheap rate. You also get a data bonus to browse the internet, scroll through social media, stream videos online, and so on, on every recharge you make on this plan.
How to Migrate to SmartPremier on Airtel
- To migrate to SmartPremier, dial *318# or send YES to 318.
SmartPremier for Data
SmartPremier is also good for data as it offers the following as a data bonus.
- 15MB data bonus on every recharge.
SmartPremier for Calls
On this one, I can’t say SmartPremier is the best Airtel tariff plan for calls, but at a rate of 11 kobos per second after the first minute of the day at 40 kobos per second. This plan still offers a fair call rate anyways. (There are some better plans for calls below).
International calls to UK landlines, US, India, Canada, and China are also charged at 11k/sec after the first minute of the day at 40k/sec.
On N100 airtime, how many minutes of call do you get:
- First minute: N0.40kobo × 60 seconds = N24.00 (100 – 24 = N76.00 left)
- N0.11kobo × 60 seconds = N6.6k
- Therefore, with N100 airtime, you will get >> N76/N6.6 + (60 secs) ≈ 12 minutes 31 seconds.
As the name implies, when you like talking more than using data for browsing, this plan is just for you. This is the first tariff plan on the list without data benefits. In other words, the first best Airtel tariff plan for calls only is in this post.
On this plan, you get charged 11 kobos per second to call all Nigeria telecom networks from every 1st second. After migrating, a daily access fee of #5 is required to initiate this cheap call package, and it is charged on your first call of the day only.
Airtel Smart Talk also allows customers to make international calls at 20k per second to the USA, Canada, China, India, and UK Landline. More so, SMS is charged at N4 per message sent on this tariff plan.
How to Activate Airtel SmartTalk
- To migrate to the SmartTalk tariff plan on Airtel, simply dial *315# or send YES to 315.
Call Rate Calculation for N100 Airtime on Smart Talk
For Airtel to All local networks in Nigeria:
- Daily Access Fee: N5.00 (100 – 5 = N95.00 left)
- N0.11kobo × 60 seconds = N6.6
- Therefore, with N100 airtime, you will get >> N95/N6.6 ≈ 14 minutes 23 seconds.
I would have said this is the best Airtel tariff plan for data and calls when it comes to bonuses. Instead, this is a package rather than a tariff plan you can migrate to on the Airtel network. You’ll understand this plan more clearly if you’ve read our post about the 10 best Glo tariff plans for calls.
On the Airtel SmartRecharge plan, you get 10X the airtime value every time you recharge with the SmartRecharge code. Also, you get an additional PLUS Extra Data Value on every recharge you make with the SmartRecharge code.
How to Activate Airtel SmartRecharge
- To activate this package, you must buy a recharge card and load it with *220*Recharge Card PIN#.
SmartRecharge for Data
For data on SmartRecharge, you get just a portion of the 1000% bonus you get. This data portion can be used to browse the internet, chat and make video calls on WhatsApp and Messenger, scroll through social media, and so on.
- If you recharge N100, you’ll get N500 as a data bonus.
SmartRecharge for Calls
The call rate for the Airtel SmartRecharge package is N50 per minute or 83 kobo per second to all Nigeria networks. That seems high, but after doing some calculations, it is still fair.
Here’s a breakdown of the minutes you can use N100 airtime with SmartRecharge:
- N100 = N500 SmartRecharge Bonus.
- Call rate = N50 Naira per minute.
- Therefore, with the N100 recharge card, you’ll get >> N500/N50 = 10 Minutes.
Airtel TalkMore is a package on the Airtel network that gives a 500% bonus on every recharge. It would have been one of the best tariff plans on Airtel for data and calls only if it’d been a tariff plan. But it’s a package that all Airtel customers can subscribe to, not a tariff plan.
The 5x bonus you get on this bundle can be used to make calls to all networks in Nigeria and also to international destinations, including the USA, Canada, China, India, and the UK Landline.
The bundle can be used to browse the internet, scroll through social media, and so on.
How to Buy Airtel TalkMore Bundle
- To buy the Airtel TalkMore bundle, simply dial *234*Amount#. For example, if you want to buy a TalkMore bundle of N100, you’ll dial *234*100#, your account will be charged N100, and you’ll be credited with N500.
TalkMore for Data
The 5x bonus on the Airtel Smart Talk package can also be used to browse. The browsing data charge is 51.2 Naira per Megabyte (N51.2/MB).
TalkMore for Calls
Airtel TalkMore offers a relatively cheap call rate of 60 kobo per second or 36 Naira per minute to all local networks in Nigeria. International destinations can also be called at 60 kobos per second with the Talk More bundle.
Here’s a breakdown of the minutes of calls you can make with N100 with the TalkMore bundle:
- N100 = N500 on Talk More.
- N0.60kobo × 60 seconds = N36.00
- Therefore, with N100 airtime bundle, you will get >> N500/N36 ≈ 13 minutes 54 seconds.
- Airtel SmartTrybe Junior
The SmartTRYBE Junior App is an educational solution that makes learning fun for children in primary and secondary schools with its 3D interactive multimedia-based learning environment.
On the SmartTRYBE Junior, you will enjoy free calls and SMS to Mum & Dad from the kid’s line, a 10% bonus of airtime transferred to the kid’s line when the parents recharge, and also get a 2x bonus every time you buy data on the SmartTrybe Junior tariff plan.
This is one of the best Airtel tariff plans for data and calls. Although most of the features of this plan come in favor of the kids
How to Activate Airtel SmartTrybe Junior
- Simply dial *317# to start enjoying this plan.
SmartTrybe Junior for Data
This plan is similar to the SmartConnect tariff plan, where you get a 100% bonus on data purchases. However, on SmartTrybe Junior, you’ll get the following:
- 100% bonus on 200MB and above data purchases to browse the web, engage with friends on social media, and much more.
SmartTrybe Junior for Calls
The fact that this plan is focused on making learning fun for kids doesn’t mean it’s not one of the best, if not the best, Airtel tariff plans for calls.
Here are some benefits of it on calls:
- Free calls & SMS to Mum & Dad from kid’s LINE.
- When the parents recharge, a 10% airtime bonus is transferred to the kid’s line.
- Call rates are charged at 40k/sec in the first minute; after that, call rates are 11k/sec to Parents and 20k/seconds to all networks in Nigeria.
Another best-call tariff plan on Airtel is SmartValue. This tariff plan allows subscribers to make calls cheaply at 15 kobos per second to all local networks without paying any access fee. Unlike the Airtel SmartTalk tariff plan, you pay an access fee of N5 to make calls at a rate of 11k/sec.
How to Migrate to Airtel SmartValue
- Simply dial *314# to migrate.
Call Rate Calculation for N100 Airtime on Smart Value
- N0.15kobo × 60 seconds = N9 .00
- Therefore, with N100 airtime, you’ll get >> N100/N9 ≈ 11 minutes 7 seconds.
Airtel Freedom Plan
Wants another best Airtel tariff plan for calls? The Airtel Freedom Plan is here for you.
Airtel Freedom plan is a new tariff plan launched by the Airtel network to allow customers to make calls cheaply at 12 kobo per second to all networks in Nigeria. No access or rental fee is required.
How to migrate to Airtel Freedom Plan
- Simply dial *152# to migrate.
Call Rate Calculation for N100 Airtime on Airtel Freedom Plan
- 0.12 × 60 seconds = N7.2k
- Therefore, with N100 airtime, you’ll get >> N100/N7.2 ≈ 13 minutes 53 seconds.
Airtel 6X Recharge
Last but not least on this list of the best Airtel tariff plan for data and calls is the Airtel 6X Recharge Package.
This plan offers all prepaid Airtel customers, old and new, a 600% bonus for calls, SMS, and browsing on every recharge. This means when you recharge N100 to your Airtel line with the 6X recharge code, you’ll get credited with N600.
How to Activate 6X Code on Airtel
- To activate this package, you must buy a recharge card and load it with *555*Recharge Card PIN#.
Airtel 6X Recharge for Data
The bonus you get from the 6x recharge can also be used to browse at a rate of 30.72 Naira per Megabyte (N30.72/MB).
Airtel 6X Recharge for Calls
Even though I won’t consider the 6X recharge pack as the best data tariff plan on Airtel, it is close to being the best Airtel tariff plan for calls. Because with your 6x bonus, you can make calls to all networks in Nigeria at a rate of 68 kobo per second (68k/sec) or 40 Naira per minute (N40/Min).
Mathematically, that is approximately 11kobo per second (11k/sec).
On a recharge of N100, here’s how many minutes of calls you have:
- N100 = N600 on 6X Recharge Balance.
- N0.68 × 60 seconds = N40.8k
- Therefore, with an N100 recharge card, you will get >> N600/40.8 ≈ 14 minutes 32 seconds.
Best Airtel Tariff Plan for Data
|Tariff Plans||Data Packages/Bonus||Migration Codes|
|SmartCONNECT||Data Bonus on Recharge + 100% Bonus on Data Bundle Purchase||*311#|
|SmartTRYBE||30% Bonus on Data Bundle Purchase + Access to Night Data Plan||*312#|
|SmartRECHARGE||500% Data Bonus on Recharge||*220*PIN#|
|SmartPREMIER||15MB Bonus on Recharge||*318#|
|SmartTRYBE junior||100% Bonus on Data Purchase||*317#|
Best Airtel Tariff Plan for Calls
|Tariff Plans||Call Rates||Migration Codes|
|Airtel Freedom Plan||12k/sec||*152#|
|Airtel 6X Recharge||11k/sec||*555*PIN#|
FAQs About Best Airtel Tariff Plan for Data and Calls
Which Tariff Plan is the best for calls on Airtel?
Airtel SmartTalk is currently the best tariff plan for calls on Airtel, as you can call all local networks at an extremely cheap rate of 11k/sec.
Which Tariff Plan is the best for data on Airtel?
Airtel smart connect is currently the best tariff plan for data on Airtel, as you get a free data bonus on every recharge, and also get double data when you buy data bundles.
Which Airtel Plan is the best for Calls in Nigeria?
The Airtel 6X recharge is the best plan on Airtel for calls, as you get a 600% bonus on every recharge to call all networks in Nigeria at a rate of approximately 11k/sec.
With a wide range of tariff plans to choose from in the Airtel network, sometimes, it may be very intimidating to go with one, especially if you’re looking for the Cheapest Airtel tariff plan for data calls simultaneously.
By now, I believe that the difficulty of picking a cheap Airtel call tariff plan has been resolved, for I’ve already shown you the complete list of the best Airtel tariff plan for calls, the best Airtel data tariff plan, and also provided migration code to them respectively.